Wednesday, July 25, 2012

What Cloth Diapering has Taught Me (so far...)

Where do I begin with the domino-effect cloth diapering has had on my life? I guess at the beginning... When I started considering cloth while lil' was incubating, it opened my eyes to how much toxic stuff there is around. But we'll stick to diapers... Look at your box of disposables or even your box of pads/liners... where are the contents? You know, "Made from, stuff?" There are none. Right. Once we got into USING cloth, I started thinking about the amount of detergent we were using. Cloth diapers require very little detergent to get clean. If I don't need that much detergent for drawers, how much do I need for my clothes? Right? We use a scant amount of detergent for everything now. Sure, I COULD go even greener and make my own detergent, but some of the ingredients aren't recommended for cloth diapers. Plus, I'm too lazy for that don't have time. You shouldn't use fabric softener on cloth diapers. Hm... what is in fabric softener? Stuff... maybe I don't need softener either Now we use wool dryer balls in the dryer instead of softener (or sheets). The drying time has been cut way down; my AIOs used to take a cycle-and-a-half to dry, now it's one. And everything (clothes too) are SO SOFT. That ball of gas in the sky, the sun (?), yeah, maybe I could use that too... Hanging clothes out is a free way to dry your clothes. We toss the clothes/cloth into the dryer for like, 5 minutes, on fluff with the dryer balls and everything is crunch-free. Besides that, lil' and I have been taking out bike to the grocery (it's less than 3 miles away, why drive? Unless it's raining or snowing?) We try to buy fruits and veggies in season. What changes have you noticed?

No comments:

Post a Comment